Monday, September 24, 2012

Update on Life as a Fairbanks

So I left you at boarding our plane in beautiful London and heading back to the states to establish our new life as a married couples. And as you can tell by my major delay in post we have been one busy couple! Since coming home we have packed all my things and moved down to Pullman. Just 10 days after getting back to the states Chris was back to school at Washington State University to finish his last year of Undergrad-- and let me tell you he is one busy guy! Due to transferring (that's for another post of how we reunited after 4 years!) to another college they have stacked all sorts of silly General Requirements on top of his major classes so to ensure he gradutes next may he is taking 21 credits this semester- yikes! But in case moving to a new city, trying to establish a routine living together (you wives know getting him to put dishes in the sink, dirty clothes in the hamper, etc), and 21 credits wasn't enough, we are also applying to Dental School programs across the United States in hopes to start next fall.

Applying to Dental School....

From the outside looking in it doesn't sound that bad, take a test, write a few essays and send in some checks, right? Well Chris and I of course did it all while getting married and travelling internationally on our honeymoon! Timing ya wasn't quite our friend, but we worked as a team and survived though it.---Sorry here goes the part where I brag about my smarty pants husband--- So this process all began last Christmas when Chris asked for a Kaplan course that would help to prepare him for the Dental Admissions Test, DAT. Much to our surprise they didn't have any courses on the East side of the state so he so diligently traveled every Tuesday for 10 weeks over to Seattle. He studied as much as he could along side his college classes as well. Then in May once WSU classes had come to term, Chris was on full time studying for the DAT as he knew he had to take the exam and submit his applications all before we left for our wedding in the end of June. Life was crazy that month, but we all survived. And one of the proudest moments was when I picked Chris up from the testing center after completing the 5 hour test. He did exceptionally well! The moment he handed me his sheet with his scores I instantly teared up and the sweet man that I married just hugged me and we shared the happiest tears. It was such a great day to see him finally sigh a sigh of relief knowing we had scored scores that should have no problem getting us into a program!

So while traveling for our honeymoon we were busy writing essays and checking Chris' email waiting on responses from schools. On August 1st we received our first interview invite!! It was such an exciting moment to see the pure relief and joy in Chris' eyes to see that email. Our first invite was from NOVA southeastern which is located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Our second interview invite didn't come until the end of August which was the longest 3 weeks waiting to hear another response. This was from University of Washington! Lastly we received our most recent invite from Midwestern- Arizona is Glendale. All 3 of these are top choices on our list so we cannot wait to see the campuses. We have our first interview on October 8th so we would love your thoughts and prayers that all goes well!

As for now we are enjoying the little things like being together week long and no more skype! I love being able to help Chris with his studies, this last friday night we even had a date night that started with 4 hours in Parasite Lab :) Might sound boring to some, but I am loving learning all about his everyday life and even some science too! Marriage has truly been one of the best blessings in my entire life. I never thought that it would be that 'different'. I thought we had been dating for so long that all that would change is actually living in the same house, no good bye kiss at night when parting ways and well we all know the other exciting bonus of marriage ;) But to my great surprise it has felt different and different since day one. I love having Chris as a 'husband' and love being his wife. Our Bishop came to our house this week so we could get to know him and vice versa. He had some great council he shared with us, but one that stuck out the most was that even though it may just be Chris and I we are still a family. It has been an adjustment in our new ward. Great having all people our own age but wow there must be something in the water--- everyone has babies!!  Of course I am in heaven because if you know me you know the love I have for children, but I am loving the one-on- one time I am having with my husband right now. But of course I want to fit in with the women of our new ward and the Bishop's council meant more than he probably knew.

Well now that you all know how much I love my husband... I should make sure he knows too :) Thanks for reading!

xo Brit

3 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and keeping up with your crazy busy wonderful life! Sure do miss you up here though! Good luck with Chris' interviews. You guys will be in our prayers. Also, I totally know how you feel being newlyweds and surrounded by people your same age and they all have babies! Gosh, seems like yesterday... and I too really wanted to fit in but didn't quite know how to connect without a baby of my own. Thank goodness for personal revelation! It's nice to know from Heavenly Father what your path should be, even if it's not the same as everyone else's. Lots of love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see you in 2 weeks!!! Go Chris and Brit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know you guys were checking out Midwestern! How cool :) its a newer school, so it's pretty nice. Good luck choosing! Congrats on the good score and thanks for the update. So glad you're experiencing newlywed bliss :)

    ReplyDelete